Skip to main content

Other Insurance FAQs

Frequently asked questions about insurance.

Everything you need to know about insurance.

Home » Resources » Other Insurance FAQs

Read through our frequently asked questions related to our insurance solutions to learn more about the importance of having insurance for you and your family.

How do I pay my insurance bill?

You have different options available to you. First, you can go to your carrier’s website and electronically pay. Also, you can reach out to your carrier by phone. (Check out our carrier page for payment links and phone numbers to some of the top carriers we write with.)

Another way that you can pay your insurance bill is by calling up your Mosaic insurance agent and seeing if they can take the payment for you. If an instance occurs where your agent is not able to process the payment for you directly, they will warm transfer you to a Service Center billing department or walk you through how to pay online. Things can vary carrier to carrier, but your Mosaic agent will make sure that you get to where you need to be!

I just paid my car off—am I required to keep full coverage on my vehicle?

No, you are not required to keep full coverage on your vehicle, which is the comprehensive and collision portion. However, if your vehicle is stolen, or damaged due to things like hail or wind, you would have no coverage for your vehicle since that would fall under comprehensive coverage. Also, if you rear-end someone, or hit a mailbox or a tree, for example, you would have no coverage to fix your vehicle, as that would fall under collision coverage.

I have great medical insurance. Am I required to have PIP (personal injury protection) on my policy?

Laws vary by state. Washington state does not require you to have PIP coverage and you can opt to not have it by signing a rejection form. However, if you or anyone in your vehicle is injured due to an accident, whether your fault or not, PIP coverage would pay for your medical as well as the medical for your passengers. Since WA is a no-fault state, most medical facilities/doctors would FIRST require your PIP coverage to pay for your medical expenses due to an accident. PIP can also help cover your accident expenses if you are in someone else’s car at the time of an accident. Additionally, we like our clients to know that PIP does not have a deductible.

For more information, you can contact your medical insurance provider and ask about how having or not having PIP can affect you.

Why did my car insurance rate go up when I removed a vehicle if the vehicle had storage coverage only?

The multi-car discount changed. The more vehicles you have, the higher the discount is. The discount outweighs the premium the insured was paying for the vehicle.

Can I add my son/daughter to my auto policy until they get their license? Will my car insurance premium increase?

It is best to add the young driver as a non-rated driver so the company is aware someone else will be driving the vehicles even though they have a permit. The premium will not be affected by adding them as permitted drivers. Once the young driver gets their license, we will need to add it as a rated driver, and yes, the premium will increase then.

Who handles the cancellation for my current insurance carrier?

Mosaic can with a signed cancellation form that we will send to your carrier once your new policy is put in place. If you are worried about an auto draft being pulled from your bank account before the cancellation, you will need to call your carrier and let them know to take you off EFT (electric funds transfer). At that time, you can also ask them to cancel your policy effective for the date your new policy goes into effect so there is no lapse.

What is escrow?

An escrow account, sometimes called an impound account depending on where you live, is set up by your mortgage lender to pay certain property-related expenses. It’s like a mini savings account attached to your mortgage.

During your first year of escrow, taxes and insurance are paid at closing so that you have enough to pay taxes and insurance for the next year. After the first year, each month when you pay your mortgage, there is an allotted amount that will be taken from the mortgage payment and put into your escrow account to pay for your insurance and taxes each year. Many lenders require that you pay your taxes and insurance using escrow, so they can make sure that the bill gets paid.

What does hazard insurance mean?

Hazard insurance is coverage that protects a property owner against damage caused by fires, severe storms, hail/sleet, or other natural events. Your homeowners insurance covers these items, plus it gives you coverage for your personal property, medical payments for accidents that arise at your home, and liability insurance to name a few. Homeowners insurance also covers you on and off your property. For example, if you are visiting a vacation resort and you accidently run into someone while you are skiing, your home insurance coverage might help cover medical bills for the person you injured.

Does my home insurance cover wind damage?

Wind is typically a covered peril on your homeowners policy. Examples of wind damages could be: shingles being torn from the roof, a tree falling on your home, an object getting blown by wind into your home (patio furniture, trampolines, etc.).

My car tickets only count for 3 years, right?

False. All tickets and accidents can affect your rates and underwriting for up to 5 years. Each carrier rates these differently. For more information on your carrier’s protocols and your specific circumstance, give Mosaic a call. We are more than happy to review your policies.

I got a ticket. When will it come off my driving record, and when will my insurance rates go back down, assuming I don’t make another mistake?

Tickets typically stay on record for 3-5 years, depending on what carrier you are with. However, it is important to know that after your tickets are removed from your record, your insurance rates might not go down. Mosaic can provide you with more information based on your specific situation. Give us a call at 425-320-4280 or email us at

I backed up and scraped the bumper of the car parked next to me. What do I need to do?

If you unable to locate the owner of the vehicle (check nearby businesses and residences) , we recommend that you…

  • Leave a note with your name, address, contact number, and explanation of accident.
  • Take photos.
  • Look for witnesses. If there are any, get their name and contact information.

What email address should I use to send Mosaic binder requests for homeowners insurance? We will get the insurance binder routed to the appropriate agent/account manager for processing within 24 business hours.

What is loss assessments coverage, and do I need it?

Loss assessments coverage is an optional endorsement that can be added to a homeowners insurance policy or condo insurance policy. Loss assessments insurance helps cover damage to a common area or injury that occurs in shared areas when the master policy coverage limits are not enough pay for a covered loss. Any additional coverage amount that is needed can be split up and assessed to the condo/homeowners. Loss assessments may also be passed onto the building owners for the deductible on the master policy, or to pay for smaller losses that fall below the master policy deductible. Loss assessments coverage does not cover any renovations or maintenance of the building and common areas.

Having loss assessments coverage helps to cover high out-of-pocket expenses or adverse action imposed by the condo owners association (COA) for failure to pay the assessments. This coverage can help protect you if you live in a shared community or are part of a homeowners association (HOA).

What is building property coverage, and how much should I carry for my unit?

Building property insurance, also known as build outs, is for the interior of your unit. It provides the replacement coverage to rebuild or repair all the attached features, such as counter tops, cabinetry, flooring, lighting fixtures, along with the interior walls, after a loss occurs.

Due to a condominium being a type of property and not a specific structure type, Mosaic is able to use a replacement cost calculating tool to help determine the amount of coverage needed to rebuild the interior of your unit. This is based on the number of stories, square footage, and quality grade of the materials used for the initial build or remodel of your unit.

If your unit is part of a condominium owners association (COA), reviewing the condo master policy will let you know what is covered on your current policy vs. what you need to cover on your individual unit. Comparing needs with policies is what we do best! Give us a call, and we will give you a free quote on which coverage you need for your specific situation.

What is an umbrella policy, and do I need one?

An umbrella policy adds extra liability coverage everywhere. Umbrella insurance both broadens and deepens coverage. Deepening, meaning that the umbrella will pay over and above the limits of liability of an underlying policy. The broadening aspect refers to the common umbrella attribute of providing better coverage than an underlying policy. Mosaic highly recommends an umbrella policy since it would cover you incase you cause an injury or damage to someone, and the amount exceeds your underlying liability limits. For example, if you were to leave a bad or negative review online and were subsequently sued, the umbrella would be able to help.

What is an endorsement?

An endorsement, also known as a “rider,” is an addition or change made to an original policy. This would add coverage for a loss that would usually be excluded on a homeowners or renters policy, in exchange for extra premium. For example, getting the endorsement “back up of sewer or drain” would cover damage caused by water from a drain that gets backed up due to a covered loss. If you do not have that endorsement, and your policy does not cover said loss without that endorsement, you would not have coverage and you would have to pay those damage expenses out-of-pocket.

What is ordinance or law coverage on my homeowners policy?

Ordinance or law coverage is a common endorsement on a homeowners policy that would cover the extra cost of items that are damaged that may need to be upgraded when you go to fix damages (i.e., electrical, heating, ventilating, air-conditioning, and plumbing based on city codes). After a covered loss you maybe required to make significant improvements to you home to meet any new standards added since your home was originally built. That is why Mosaic always recommends ordinance or law coverage if you live in an older home. This endorsement usually covers 10% of the extra cost. Some carriers offer more coverage for more premium.

What are some unusual losses covered by homeowners insurance?

Some examples Mosaic has seen include dog bites, pet damage, cemetery mischief (i.e., if a gravestone becomes damaged or vandalized), dorm room décor becomes stolen or damaged, stolen ATM credit or debit cards, space debris damage (if anything were to fall from the sky), and damage caused by use of a drone for personal use (not business use). It is important to be aware that if you file a claim for one of your animals hurting someone, all pets in that house are affected on the insurance policy (not just the animal that did the damage).

If you are wondering about a specific recent loss you have had, give Mosaic a call and we can see if your insurance policy will cover said loss. We can also talk to you about possible future claims that you are worried about and look into what carriers have to offer to help protect you.

Do you sell commercial health insurance for businesses?

Currently, we do not sell health insurance. However, one of our independent insurance agents is happy to help get you get the contact information of someone who can better assist you.

Do you sell key person life insurance for businesses?

Yes. Give us a call and we will go over your options! We have helped other business owners get life insurance on themselves and their business partners in a buy-sell agreement, and/or for key individuals in their business.

How often do carriers get new insurance discounts?

Carriers are always adding ways to qualify for discounts! Some common examples are bundling home/auto together, the home security discount, and the good driving discount. It’s our goal for you to have the best insurance at the best price.

Can you get a discount on your insurance for good driving?

Yes, you can get rewarded for your good driving if your insurance carrier has a good driving discount program. We have some carriers that give up to a 20% discount with a simple app based telematics program! Ask us about them today.

Do you need general liability insurance for your Washington contractor business?

It depends on the state that you are in. In Washington state, it’s required. Know the requirements for your state. Also, keep in mind that wherever you are in the production process, you may be sued if something goes wrong on the job. We have seen claims where everyone from the product manufacturer to the retail shop is listed in a lawsuit.

Why should you get true house boat insurance?

Some carriers only place boats that people live in with general home insurance policies. Other carriers have true boat home coverage that will cover things that normal home insurance tends to not cover, like wave damage. We can help you get true house boat coverage.

What is umbrella insurance?

Umbrella insurance both broadens and deepens coverage. Deepening, meaning that the umbrella will pay over and above the limits of liability of an underlying policy. The broadening aspect refers to the common umbrella attribute of providing better coverage than an underlying policy.

How can cheap insurance can put you at risk?

Think of that old saying, ‘You get what you pay for…’ Instead of giving up stable coverage, look for ways you can save, such as discounts for being a good student, being a good driver, having anti-theft measures, bundling home & auto, paying in-full, and having longevity with a carrier. Give us a call today at 425-320-420 to see what insurance discounts you qualify for.

If your water heater fails and causes damage, will insurance cover it?

If your water heater fails due to poor maintenance and causes damage, you won’t have a covered claim. Water heaters failing are considered maintenance issues, not ‘sudden and unexpected’ events. Make sure that you are inspecting appliances in your house regularly and keeping up maintenance. Consult a professional if needed.

Why is it good to take recall notices seriously, always register appliances, and clean appliances regularly?

A faulty appliance like a fridge, clothes dryer, or hairdryer can cause a serious fire in your home. Also, clean your appliances based on manufacturer recommendation since things like dust can create a fire.

What is insurance claims counseling?

If you ever think “should I file this?” please reach out to us. We claim counsel, meaning that we are ready to help walk you through a loss to see if it is something that you will want to start a claim over. You might not know what could happen. Sometimes, reporting a claim can cost more than paying out-of-pocket for a loss. You could be paying more after everything is said and done because the claim will increase your rate for years. It could also dictate whether your carrier will allow you to renew with them, and dictate which carriers will accept you with a claims loss. We are ready to help you with claims counseling if you ever need us!

For example: Let’s say your fence blew over in a windstorm, and you called and filed a claim. Your carrier paid $890 for the claim. Now, the claim will raise your rate for 3-5 years. So, eventually you’ll end up paying more than the cost it would have been to replace the fence out-of-pocket.

What can your business do against break-ins and thieves?

We are seeing more commercial claims of thieves crashing their cars into store front windows to gain access. In addition to having stable coverage, we advise that you have adequate antitheft protections in place (alarms, security cameras, security guards, etc.). One of the big things shop owners are doing is installing concrete barriers in front of areas where a vehicle could smash through the building. We’re also seeing thieves steal ATMs a lot, so we advise better securing those also.

Can you get special event insurance for your business?

Yes! We can help you get coverage for your on-site and off-site events, whether you’re a vendor at a street fair, or you have a big work party, company anniversary celebration, or Black Friday type shindig. Call us at 425-320-4280.

Why is the renewal for my building insurance more expensive when my property is a year older?

With the spike in inflation over the past 3 years, the cost of both construction materials and labor have spiked as well. Older buildings need more repairs and maintenance to keep up-to-code, and they tend to have hefty repair costs after they’re damaged. As your building gets older, you might see an increase in your commercial insurance both because of inflation and age. Luckily, we are an insurance broker who writes with leading carriers in the country. We also have team who always stays in the loop with business insurance discounts. Call us at 425-320-4280 or email us at today.

What is the difference between commercial auto liability and commercial general liability?

Commercial auto liability is separate from commercial general liability. Auto liability is not included with commercial liability coverage. Most commercial general liability policies specifically exclude coverage for bodily injury or property damage arising out of any motor vehicle use.

One way to remember the differences is general liability is premises and/or product coverage, and auto liability provides coverage for any actual vehicle use.

Why does insurance premium keep going up, even when you have no losses?

Your insurance can increase due to factors other than you having a claim. Some common reasons include: tickets, inflation, claims of others in your area (risk factor), crime, labor cost increases, and cannabis state regulations.

What is the difference between commercial auto liability and commercial general liability?

Commercial auto liability is separate from commercial general liability.

Auto liability is not included with commercial liability coverage. Most commercial general liability policies specifically exclude coverage for bodily injury or property damage arising out of any motor vehicle use.

One way to remember the differences is general liability is premises and/or product coverage, and auto liability provides coverage for any actual vehicle use.

Unfortunately, clients often mix these two liability coverages up. Luckily, coverage counseling is what an independent insurance agent is for! Call us today at 425-320-4280 to get your very own agent who will help you cover your company coverage bases.

Can you get insurance if you are renting out an Airbnb?

Yes. Mosaic carries specialty Airbnb insurance. Call us at 425-320-4280. (You can also learn more about Airbnb insurance here:

It is also important to know that Airbnb’s Host Guarantee is limited protection that Airbnb offers for certain circumstances in the event that hosts refuse to pay for damages they caused…It is NOT an insurance policy! Before hosting on Airbnb, make sure that your insurance carrier allows it and that your policies don’t have exclusions you’re likely to face. Your carrier might not cover any claims, or they might not cover certain circumstances, like theft.

Are the tools covered for theft? Are tools covered on the job?

Yes, your tools can be covered on your insurance if they are stolen, and yes, they can be covered on different job sites. You just need to have the right insurance, and Mosaic Insurance can help you!

If you work in construction, or work for a different kind of company that has tools at different job sites, Mosaic is ready to talk to you and give you a free quote. Ask us about coverage like inland marine tool insurance. The best coverage to cover tools anywhere, is inland marine tool coverage. It is a fancy name that means tool coverage travels and is not limited to coverage at one location. Call us for this coverage today if you have a business with tools: 425-320-4280.

Is cyber liability insurance mainly for the BIG companies?

You might think that your company is too small to be targeted by a cyber criminal…We say, think again and then call us at 425-320-4280! You can also learn more about cyber insurance here.

Cyber liability insurance is not just for the BIG companies. For instance, Mosaic Insurance recommends that all retail businesses have cyber liability insurance, even the smaller stores. Over 50% of cyber attacks occur on businesses with less than 100 employees. Give us a call now so you can focus on customers.

What is important to know about car theft?

When it comes to car theft, many of our clients have the same questions:

What do car prowlers look for? Secluded and dark areas, no cameras, little/no witnesses, visible items to steal, owners who have predictable routines, cares that have been sitting in an area for a while, and vehicles that are deemed easier to break into and/or steal.  They also look for cars that have damages to things like windows and doors, expensive items in sight (stereos, phones, purses, etc.), easily removable parts and/or upgraded parts (new stereos, external spare tires, seats, batteries, etc.), and large gas tanks (gas siphoning).

How can you avoid car theft? Here are just some ways that you can help keep your car from getting stolen or broken into: Use audible and visible deterrent devices (i.e. car alarms, steering wheel locks, brake locks, tire clamps, etc.), be aware of your surroundings, park in “safer” areas (good lighting, decently populated, security cameras, low crime rates, etc.), do not leave your keys in the car, so not leave your car running, roll up all windows, lock all doors, make sure your doors are closed properly, do not leave valuables in your car, keep your car clean, fix damages to your car ASAP (i.e. broken windows), and use your garage at home.

What will insurance cover if your car gets broken into? Most comprehensive (comp) coverage and full coverage (comp and collision) will cover car theft and break-ins. If your car was stolen and never recovered, both coverages should also cover actual cash value (ACV) of your car minus the deductible. Some factors that are considered for ACV include: pre-loss condition, age, mileage, make, model, year, etc. Some damaged/stolen items that car insurance is known to cover include windows, engines, batteries, doors, seats, gas tanks, etc. Car insurance only covers attached equipment that is not easily removable. It will NOT cover personal items, but your home insurance might. Speak to us about getting the right coverage limits. High losses might result in insufficient insurance coverage for covered losses.

What do you do if you car gets stolen or broken into?

  • Call police immediately. File a police report and get a copy of it. Include information about what was stolen and its value.
  • Get your case number and the names of the responding officers.
  • See if there are witnesses and/or camera footage.
  • Provide police with any video or picture evidence of the crime.
  • Keep police updated on new information.
  • Contact your auto insurance company (within 24 hours).
  • If your car receives excessive damages, it is recommended to have it inspected by a mechanic and to provide vehicle damage quotes to the police and insurance company.
  • If your car is recovered, tell your insurance company immediately.
  • If you find your car before police do, tell them immediately.

More information in our blog post Summer is the Top Season for Car Theft & Break-Ins.

What are Notary Surety Bonds?

Want to become a Notary? We can help you with Surety Bonds!

Your state’s Department of Licensing (DOL) is where you apply to become a Notary for your state (i.e., Washington DOL). Mosaic can help you get Surety Bond insurance, which is coverage that you’re required to have as a Notary. Washington state requires a $10K Surety Bond if you are a Notary because it helps protect the public in case a mistake or misconduct happens. In addition to a Surety Bond, Mosaic can help you get the optional errors & omissions coverage that will increase liability protection as well as peace of mind. Also, in case you didn’t know, you don’t need a business name or a business license to get a Notary Bond. Notary Bonds are specific to the Notary, so it’s just a bond in your name. We are also ready to answer more of your questions! Call us at 425-320-4280 or email us at .

Does my landlord's insurance cover a claim or does mine?

Do you rent your business building or house? You need to know who is responsible for what property. It is important to know that in the case of a loss to property, unless directed in your lease or contract, insurance will only pay for the property owned by the insured business entity or individual. Meaning that if something is owned by the landlord, only the landlord’s insurance can cover it. The only time you or another person pay for the loss of someone else’s property is if you or they are at fault for the loss—which is where liability insurance comes into play. In other words, you are responsible for your property and protecting it.

It’s important to let your insurance agent know what belongs to you so that your items are covered. Also let them know when you make a tenant improvement.

What if my security system/item is damaged or stolen by a thief or vandalizer?

If a thief got away after breaking or stealing a security item you installed, like a camera, alarm system, or concrete barrier in front of the store window, your insurance can help pay for that. Whenever you install a security feature for your business or home, please let your agent know immediately so that it can be properly covered in case a claim were to happen.

Why is my insurance bill increasing?

There are various factors in play, including inflation, tickets, accidents, adding a new driver like a teenager, and living in high-risk areas, that cause insurance premiums to increase. As of 2023, inflation is one of the biggest culprits. As a team of independent insurance agents, Mosaic knows that inflation is real, that it impacts all of our clients (and us as individuals) in some way, and that it can be difficult to maneuver if it is not something you are familiar with. Therefore, we created this video here to answer your question.

We are ready to help you in any way that we can. Please also note that we are an insurance broker, and not an insurance carrier. We write insurance policies through the carriers we have partnerships with, and we help you with your policies as you need assistance, but we do not set premium prices and we do not control the insurability of people and businesses. Insurance carriers are the ones who set the prices of their insurance policies, and they determine if they want to insure a person or company. However, please also know that we work for you and not the insurance companies, so your best interest is our best interest. We will always go with what is best for you.

Who sets insurance prices?

Mosaic Insurance Alliance is an insurance broker, so we do not set the prices of insurance premiums. Insurance carriers, like the ones you see on our carrier page, are the ones who set the prices of their insurance policies. Insurance carriers are also the ones who are in control of insurability, meaning that they are the ones that decide if they want to accept insuring a person or business. While Mosaic does not determine your insurance bill or if a carrier accepts you or not, we will always have your best interest at heart, direct you to stable coverage, help you get coverage at competitive prices, claims counsel, and be here to answer your questions. In fact, one of the questions—“why is my insurance bill going up?”—was answered in a video by one of Mosaic’s co-founders here.

Tax Season FAQs - Couple Sitting Down in the Office with Insurance Agent and Woman is Shaking Hands with the Agent
Skip to content