Skip to main content

Plumber Insurance for Your Business in Lynnwood, WA and All of Washington State

Plumber business insurance for companies in Lynnwood, Everett, Snohomish, Seattle, Bellevue, Bothell, and the rest of Washington state.

Washington Plumbers Insurance & License Information

Home » Business Insurance » Plumber Insurance for Your Business

Mosaic Insurance Alliance has helped plumbing businesses get insurance since 2010 when we first opened. In 2020, Washington Legislature passed new plumbing company laws that significantly changed plumbing contractor licenses. As always, Mosaic has you covered with insurance and important information.

Plumbers Insurance in Washington

Mosaic Insurance can help you get various business coverage for your plumbing company, including but not limited to:

Plumbers Licenses & 18.106 RCW

By September 1, 2021, existing registered Washington plumber companies needed a new bond on file in Washington state. The new plumbing business laws that were passed in 2020 were designed to help address plumber shortages, increase plumber training programs, and improve customer protection.

As of July 1, 2021, specialty plumbing registration in Washington state is no longer valid. This means that a licensed plumbing contractor who has updated credentials must perform all plumbing contract work—general contractors cannot continue to perform work with a certified plumber (18.106 RCW). However, under 18.27 RCW, licensed plumbing contractors do have the option to be registered as general contractors so that they can perform the non-plumbing jobs like tile installation. It is also our understanding that a contractor does not need a specialty bond if they are doing more than plumbing at their business, but it is in a company’s best interest to confirm their situation with L&I.

Mosaic can help you get the business coverage that you need to help protect your company against claims. As a professional commercial insurance broker, we will do all that we can to help you stay informed and find stability during state changes that impact your company. We also recommend that you reach out to government personnel for registration inquiries. It is certainly in a contractor’s best interest to confirm with L&I what they need to do to be compliant with the new laws of their state.

Who is Impacted the 2021 18.106 RCW?
  • Plumbing Contractors
  • General Contractors
  • Residential Service Plumbers
Registering with Labor & Industries (L&I) as a Licensed Plumbing Contractor

To obtain a new plumbers certification, a plumbing business must:

  • Get a surety bond or an assigned savings account of $6,000
  • Obtain liability insurance
  • Complete, notarize, and pay for a Washington plumbing contractor license application
  • Plumbing contractors must have at least one designated plumber on staff who carries a certification with L&I. This person could be an owner, partner, or full-time employee of the company.

It is very important that plumbing companies keep their registration current during the application process.

Keep Up to Date on New Rules and Phases

Washington State Legislature has updated RCWs for plumbers here.


As always, if you ever have any questions about your business insurance, don’t’ hesitate to reach out to Mosaic Insurance. That is what we are here for. We can be reached by the chat feature on our website here, as well as by email or phone. Our office hours are Monday-Friday, 8:30 am to 5 pm Pacific Standard Time.

L&I also has some Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) here.

Have a Plumbing Business in Another State?

Mosaic Insurance is in Lynnwood, WA, but we write insurance in various states with multiple top companies in the country. We might be able to help your business. Give us a call at 425-320-4280 and our team of commercial insurance professionals will see if we can get you a free insurance quote!

Top Insurance Carriers

Below are some of our top insurance carriers that we write with for plumber insurance. (Please keep in mind that the below is subject to change. Carriers may change guidelines at any time. Check with your agent for specifics.) 

Plumber Insurance Top Carriers-Allstate-Liberty Mutual-Travelers-Nationwide

Plumber Insurance for Your Business - Plumber Fixing a Kitchen Sink Faucet

Get Started Today

As an independent agency, we are here to help you find the right plumber insurance coverage.

Get a Quote

  Plumber Insurance for Your Business Quote Request

As an independent agency, we are here to help you find the right coverage.

  • Drop files here or
    Accepted file types: doc, docx, pdf, txt, rtf, Max. file size: 300 MB.
    • Please do not include sensitive, private information in this area.
    • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

    Get a Quote

    It only takes a minute to get started.

    • Fill out the form, we’ll be in touch.
    • Review options with an agent.
    • Get the coverage you need.

    Would you rather discuss this in person? Get in touch with an agent today!

    Skip to content